Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Life on Nantucket





After my journey and travels last year to St. Maarten in the caribbean, 3 months in the south of France and 40 days around the states by car, I officially have developed the traveling bug. On the road trip in October my girlfriend and I landed on the island of Nantucket where I was introduced to an amazing couple, Mark and Eithne. We spent 5 days at their beautiful home and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my entire trip. A few months ago, Eithne offered her home to me for part of the summer - so here I am....August 3rd through October 4th. Mark and Eithne own and pour their heart and soul into their business Nantucket Catering Company and while I am here will be working with them catering events on the island.

I arrived Tuesday 8/3 after a 15 hour travel period....car to plane to plane to bus to taxi to ferry to taxi... needless to say it was nice to be here. The island is very lush and green and a large portion of the island is preserved conservation land so needless to say the wildlife (unique birds of all colors, bunnies, deer and much more) is abundant and the landscape is beyond beautiful. The island is 30 miles off shore and is only 3 1/2 by 14 miles wide so if I felt compelled I could run from one end of the island to the other in under 2 hours 30 minutes.

The beaches are absolutely pristine and are accessible all the way around the island. The sand is white and the water is warm. Being from the west coast I am used to seeing the sun set over the ocean. My first night here I saw the sun set over land and then I realized if I walked to the other side of the island, I could see it set as I'm used to seeing it set.

The historical society is very active on the island which is why so much of the town to this day feels like you stepped back in time. In town you will find cobblestone streets and brick sidewalks with old fashioned street lamps, there are beautiful old ships and sailboats in the harbor, other than a small portion of downtown, the island has no street/stop lights or other fluorescent lighting of any kind - which make the stars shine brighter and the crickets sing louder. The majority of homes have preserved their original seaside beach cottage feel, street signs have the same weathered style. Only what I have seen in movies.

Weather here has been in the high 70s with 90% humidity. Thank goodness I love the heat! Two showers a day is a requirement. On Friday, we had the most intense thunder/lightning/downpour storm I have ever seen. Lightning was touching ground, the thunder was roaring like I have never heard and buckets of rain were dumped on land. I just laid down and watched it happen all around me - I love storms!

Speaking of weather...I am training for the Portland Marathon on 10.10.10 - just 6 days after I arrive back home. My running experience here has been a brand new challenge in that the humidity has intensified lack of performance such as muscle soreness, dehydration and shortness of breath. I only hope that my body acclimates to this climate change sooner than later as I only have 2 months from today to run 26.2 miles. My long runs should consist of 16-18 miles at this point and my longest run here has been 9 miles. Frustration has set in. On the other hand, I am still cross training with yoga - a form of yoga I have never tried which presents a much welcomed new experience.

Mark and Eithne have been more than generous and gracious hosts. They have a gorgeous home with 2 beautiful girls and a chocolate lab. Their owner operated catering business keeps them working morning, noon and night for 5 months every summer. Eithne is the Event Coordinator and Mark is the Executive Chef of the most outstanding culinary experience you could ever imagine. As you can imagine, the seafood is abundant on the island and menus for their events frequently include a raw oyster bar freshly shucked on the spot, clam and lobster bakes on the beach, cocktail parties to include appetizers such as lobster ravioli, figs stuffed with gorgonzola cheese, crab cakes, shrimp cocktail and much much more. The catered events are typically targeted towards weddings, fundraising parties, cocktail parties, sit down dinner for a very high class customer base. Needless to say, there is a lot of work involved and a reputation to hold. I do also enjoy working in Mark's kitchen - last week i made 505 balls of risotto and 400 crab cakes!

The most recent event was held at a private second home for doctors who live in Texas and were hosting a cocktail party on their grounds which includes a grand personal residence, guest home larger than many homes I have ever been in, a swimming pool and rolling hills of beautifully manicured lawn. Another event was an exclusive preview party for an antique show. Tickets were $500 a piece and there was an estimated 600 guests. The biggest event of the year is going to be held this coming Saturday which is a benefit for the local hospital. There will be an estimated 750 guests for a plated sit down dinner to be held on the beach featuring the Boston Pops. This is no casual event as each guest pays $2,500 (yes twenty five hundred) dollars per plate. Now if only I can get through this event without dumping a plate on a guest's lap or tripping in the sand with a cocktail tray in hand!

One benefit of living with an Executive Chef for 2 months is - imagine the food available to me! Yes a little selfishness coming out in me but last night we had short ribs (well I didn't) and a a shrimp and asparagus risotto. The refrigerator is constantly stocked with Mark's creations and if I'm not careful I may add a few extra pounds before my trip back home. When I was here in October, Mark took me scalloping in the bay, shucked some straight from the water into my mouth - nothing better. We then proceeded to some home where he created seared scallops in a brandy browned butter sauce. With the rest we made ceviche. As a lover of gourmet food, I am spending 2 months in paradise.

Now let's talk tomatoes! On the island, there is a farm of over 100 acres called Bartlett Farms which has been passed down from generation to generation dating back to the 1800s. It is still owned and operated within the family and consists of vegetables, flowers, herbs all which are consumed locally and not shipped off the island. Last night I met the owner of the farm and today he sent me home with the most amazing tomatoes of all shapes, sizes and colors. The most beautiful heirloom tomatoes I have ever seen and they taste just like candy. Keep in mind he does sell them for $4.00/pound so that was a huge treat for me! Time for some margherita concoction - tomato, basil, mozzarella yumminess. The farm store has all the produce, herbs, flowers, locally made pies, desserts and deli you could ask for. This is also where my yoga class is held so I have the opportunity to experience a little piece of this paradise a couple of times a week.

Much of the island consists of unimproved roads - gravel and sand covered roads which lead to beaches, forests, farms and town. Mark and Eithna are gracious enough to provide me with a jeep (yes top off) for 2 months. A very necessary car for island life.

The home I have the privilege of living in during my stay provides me with my own bedroom and bathroom which look out on to the beautifully landscaped yard, a back deck with many lounge chairs a table and a hot tub. Many showers are taken in the outdoor shower and the home is very inviting. It's so wonderful to feel at home in a new place.

I have much more to share and will over the next couple of months. I wanted to start this blog not only to share my experience on the island but also to create a journal for myself. I hope you enjoy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment