
The past week on the island has slowed somewhat. The vacationers and seasonal residents are heading off island to start the school year and the transition into the most popular wedding month begins this weekend. The seasonal workers are also heading out so guess what that means....Krista's going to be working her tail off for the next 5 weeks!
All summer Mark has had 5 bodies in his kitchen and as of this week will be down to 2 so I will be stepping in more than full time. I had my first full work day in the kitchen on Saturday and it is a glorious job! I started ironing chef coats (my 2 least favorite household chores are ironing and cleaning the shower - right Wen?) After that I moved onto doing dishes and the best part... searing 80 pounds of cow! This is just the beginning of my kitchen experience. I do look forward to all that I will be learning about the day in the life of the gourmet chef.
This past week we went to the only restaurant on the island that is beachside - named The Galley.... of course that means you'll pay more for a meal there than anywhere else on the island! The three of us ladies went there just for a $12 cocktail however it turned in to much more... the owner just happened to be outside and greeted and seated us at the bar and told the bartender that all drinks were on him until 2015. Then he proceeded to have the chef prepare us a 3 course meal... scallops, salmon and crab cake. And beyond that opened 2 bottles of $600 wine. We figured by the end of the night he provided us with a $2,000 dining experience! I felt completely spoiled.
Friday Donna Leigh and I prepared appetizers for a party of 75. This was an event held for the hospital board and was very low key. The hostess Maureen held it at her home and I later found out that the week prior she donated $100,000 to the hospital....just a little pocket change for her - unbelievable!
Yesterday was spent at the beach with a big group of friends and once again spoiled with some incredible food - pretty sure I've gained about 7 pounds since I've been here. Not enough running and indulging much too much....
This morning Mark asked me how much I was willing to work in the next month. I said "whenever you need me" - he said that would be a lot and very long days so my days ahead should be a little crazy! I look forward to the paychecks!
The latest news is that Hurricane Earl is on his way to the east coast and is expected to arrive on Friday. Needless to say - I'm watching the radar....
No comments:
Post a Comment