The past couple of weeks have been busy - I have worked in kitchen making countless sesame cones for tuna tartar, washed innumerable dishes, laundered an infinite number of towels, aprons and chef uniforms, learned how to "properly" dice onions and celery while dressed in my ever so sexy chef uniform with my (i can't believe i am admitting to this) CROCS. Yes, I didn't arrive on the island with appropriate kitchen shoes so I invested in the most dreaded pair of shoes imaginable... but hey, i can wash them with a scrub brush and hose which is pretty important while working in an industrial kitchen!
We catered a wedding reception for 65 people at the Whaling Museum and I had a really good vibe about the guests. The average age of the majority were in the late 20's to late 30's - all very friendly and down to earth. Come to find out the bride and groom live in Seattle and bride's sister lives in NW Portland. Not to dis the east-coasters but my experience has been that the northwest is such a casual, friendly, special place and maybe that is why I continue to keep it my home. It was refreshing as I have been surrounded by so many people consumed by keeping up appearances and status. Which brings me to my next topic....
Ever heard of "Nantucket Reds"? I have been asking the locals about these gawd awful faded red - almost pink - pants that the men around here are wearing but can't seem to get to the root of these pants so I looked it up. They are originally an adapted form of the uniforms worn by the New York Yacht Club and are now predominantly worn by summer residents on the island. Does that scream pretentious?!!
Nantucket in the summer is completely a different place than Nantucket in the fall - almost ghostly. People have dwindled, beaches are desolate, bike paths are empty, traffic is minimal, stores are closing, restaurants are limiting operating hours, kids are in school and families back in routine. It's time for the locals to reconnect and talk about the activities of summer which is giving me a better idea of what the off season is like around here. After being here for 7 weeks I have come to know a LOT of people (to the point they are waving to me on my runs) and now that we spend more time gathering, I begin to realize how small this island really is - everyone knows everyone kind of thing.
I'm not one for corporate america. Don't get me wrong I occasionally shop and eat at these joints but my preference is to choose a local establishment over corporations. That is something I truly appreciate about Nantucket. The grocery chain Stop and Shop is the one corporate business on the island - no McDonalds, Applebees, Walmart, 7-Eleven or Red Robin. I will admit my one true weakness about being here and that is Taco Bell! Certainly I will be picking up a mexican pizza with no beef and a bean burrito when I return home. For the most part the locals will mail order from Target or take a day off island to shop at the mall. It's refreshing seeing the lack of fluorescent lighting and advertising I must say.
Ok off to a cocktail party and anniversary party.... typical for a Tuesday evening
No comments:
Post a Comment